Tuesday, February 3, 2009

December 3, 2008



















Dear Matthew and St. Andrew's 6th grade,




Hola and greetings from Perú! As you know, I am devoted to writing actual letters, but I felt like I should send an email update this time so that this communication reaches you before Christmas break. I feel like it has been awhile since I have filled you in on my Peace Corps experience in Perú. I am currently in the city of Piura in the northern part of Peru, only a few hours from the border of Ecuador. Tomorrow, I will be taking a bus and two colectivo taxis to get to my new community of Potrerillo, a small group of towns numbering about 1000 inhabitants. I thought when I went to Peru that I would be living in the mountains, surrounded by fog and the Andes, but where I will be is relatively flat! The region of Piura is actually part of one of the largest deserts in South America, but my area is quite green, due to the nearby presence of a reservoir. Most of the people are farmers, and grow rice, corn, and fruits such as mangos. I am a replacement volunteer in my site: the previous volunteer worked there for two years and is now returning to the states to begin medical school. I will be picking off where she left off (she did a lot of work coordinating the construction of latrines) and also starting some projects of my own (I am looking forward to working in the local school, which here is called a colegio.) Even though a volunteer worked here for two years and did some excellent work, there is still alot to tackle!

Once again I will be living with a host family: two older parents, two children (a daughter and son) and five grandchildren. Also, we have a dog, two cats, and pigs, ducks, turkeys, chickens, and cows. I am really living out in the country! I will take pictures of my house and room when I finally get settled in, but I am lucky that I have a concrete floor and brick walls. I still need to oversee some finishing touches on my room (it needs a door, it needs spaces between the roof and the wall closed off to keep out mosquitos) but in no time it will be my new home away from home.


By the way, I have attached a few photos this time, since I know everyone is very curious about the things I am seeing. I regret that a) I am not a very good photographer and b) my Internet connections have been too slow to update many photos, but these are a few shots from Piura City and the reservoir about 15 minutes from my site. The area is very beautiful, and while it is typically quite hot, the nights are very pleasant. So what will I be doing when I get to site? My first priority is to get to know my community. We have been told numerous times that you have to gain the confianza (confidence) of the community members before starting any major project. As I said before, I want to work in the schools, but a few weeks afer I arrive, the schools get out for summer break! (Remember, I am in the southern hemisphere, and the seasons are switched around...we are nearing the end of "primavera" here.) Imagine if after Christmas you had vacations until March! This means that I will need to think quick if I want to plan a summer program for the school kids, whether it be an English club or sessions with older kids on strategies on how to make plans for their future.


These first three months will be, more than anything, a process of introductions and "getting to know you" between the community and myself. Well, it is getting late and I am tired. If I don't get the chance to write before Christmas break, have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in Mississippi. I will send you more updates as I figure out my place in Potrerillo!

Sincerely,




Douglas M.









No comments:

Post a Comment